Re: Education Portal - sparking an idea

Marshal Anderson wrote:

> There was an attempt in the UK, mostly by the Acorn community, to counter
> the move towards huge monolithic Integrated Learning Systems by developing a
> standard possiton/results save format for educational software. The idea was
> that it should be possible to take packages from different publishers to
> pick n mix your own ILS which could be managed with software that was
> capable of communicating with these disparate packages, gethering results
> from them and then sening them intructions.

Bruno can tell me that I'm wrong, but I believe you've happened upon the
core of his EduML work.  EduML is to be a standard data interchange
format for all educational software, whether pedagogical or
administrative.  Any EduML-capable gradebook should be able to
automatically integrate information from any EduML-capable teaching
program, for example.  All the hooks aren't there yet, but it looks to
me that Bruno is far ahead of the other two efforts I know of in this
area, SIF and IMS.