Re: [seul-edu] In Need of the BIG Picture

After you follow the procedure you describe here, your kernel (not kernal)
file is /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage . It is NOT the file called
vmlinux or vmlinuz.

After you do "make bzImage" you can try doing "make install". Depending on
the distribution and kernel version, some Makefiles have a procedure in them
to install the new kernel and reconfigure LILO. At least my
Debian-distributed kernel-source packages have this target.

Without seeing the actual error, I can't be sure, but a "target" error
usually means the Makefile doesn't have an entry for what you told it to do
(in this case, no entry for "modules_install"). You should be getting a
message (not an error; not even a warning) that says something like "nothing
to do for targer 'make modules_install'". A true error seems odd in this
instance, since that is a pretty standard piece of the Makefile (even on my
old system with a 2.0.36 kernel tree); check your work for a typo.

If you write again, be sure to mention what kernel you are trying to
compile. I assume you are compiling on a Slackware host, but you might also
mention what version of Slackware.

I don't know how small your test kernel should be. The real ones I compile
typically are around 500 kB as bzImage files.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com