Re: [seul-edu] Math teachers...

Doug Loss wrote:

>    What kinds of programs are they using or do they want to use on non-Linux
> systems?

I'm working on getting that question answered right now, and will post
the list here when I have it.

The issues they raised are:

1) Linux is useless because we cannot order programs that are
compatible.

That's the reason I asked what I asked here.

2) No Hard Drives - shouldn't teachers be trusted to make sure students
use them properly?

No - but I'll put it more nicely in my response :)

3) Programs that we have already purchased are useless.

I'm going to offer to check these out with Wine and see if it's possible
to run them - otherwise, we'll look for replacements, or wait for Wine
to reach a point of usability.

4) We need Microsoft Word because it has an Equation Editor.

This one bugs the heck out of me because I've already showed them that
the Equation Editor in StarOffice is easily equal to what Word ships
with - *SIGH*... you can lead a horse to water, but you're not allowed
to beat it senseless.

--
Chris Hobbs       Silver Valley Unified School District
Head geek:              Technology Services Coordinator