RE: [seul-edu] Math teachers...

> Douglas Loss wrote:
>
> > Not to be mean-spirited or anything, but don't your math
> > teachers teach any math to these kids?  I mean, This is all life
> > skills stuff that requires little more than basic arithmetic.
> > No trig, no algebra, no calculus?  I suppose you could teach
> > some basic statistics with some of those things, but they don't
> > appear to be designed for it.
>
> One of my techs and I had the same discussion after I got the
> list. They
> do teach Algebra, Calc, Geometry and Trig, but apparently have not
> invested any money in software for it - IMHO this is actually good,
> because if it exists for Linux, we can show them some things they may
> not have seen before in any form.
>
> So, hoping that Doug and I aren't the only ones reading the
> list :), is
> anyone familiar enough with this type of software to make
> recommendations that will knock their collective socks off?
>
> PS. Does anyone else see value in a "life simulator" for use in a life
> skills course such as I described earlier? I've been thinking about it
> all day, and am envisioning a web based product that would allow
> students to live a virtual life, maybe a week or a month to a
> real day,
> and encourage them to keep a journal or some other deliverable to turn
> in to their teacher.

As a 10th grader, I must say I would find such a project fascinating. It has
to be used in the right environment though. If kids who don't want to learn
are stuck doing this they won't get anything out of it. On the other hand,
it is great for those who value their education.

Jason Mellen

P.S. I help run our computer systems and I feel sorry for you. Teachers can
be very negative when it comes to new things. Or old things for that matter.
:)