Re: [seul-edu] Math teachers...

Chris Hobbs wrote:

> This gets back to something that struck me yesterday - the biggest
> benefit to buying "Educational" software is probably not the
> software/code itself, but the canned lesson plans and other supporting
> materials that come with it. That's what impressed me the most about the
> InvestSmart Stock Market Game
> (http://library.thinkquest.org/10326/market_simulation/index.html) I
> came across yesterday - coding a stock market game doesn't seem like
> it'd be all that difficult (i.e. I could probably do it :).

Two things here.  If it's of any interest, SEUL has two (!) stock market
simulators under our wing, one by Jacques Fortier <http://stocks.seul.org>, and
one by Viral Shah <http://casts.seul.org>.  Jacques, I don't think Viral is on
this mailing list; could you contact him and see if you guys can put these two
projects together?  If not, that's OK, but it would be nice to see a good stock
market sim get developed.

There's a site on the web called Lesson Plans <http://www.lessonplans.org> that
has a number of links to downloadable lesson plan archives.  It definitely would
be a good idea for some of us to go through these links and see if we can find
any help in developing lesson plans to use free software.  This would go a long
way toward addressing Chris's points.

--
Doug Loss                 God is a comedian playing
Data Network Coordinator  to an audience too afraid