Re: [Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] Publishing]

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Doug Loss wrote:

>> Well, this is a rough area, as there are plenty of text layout tools, but
>> they are not wysiwig.  There are 2 options I would recommend to start:
>>
>> 1. Wysiwyg: Framemaker - not open source, but runs on Linux and highly
>> industrial strength.  It really was designed to do book layout.  Have not
>> used it since my days on Solaris, but worth a look
>>
>> 2. non-wysiwyg but I think better anyway (TM): Docbook. High Learning
>> curve, and the tools are still being improved.  But after seeing the
>> presentaion here at the OLS conference, I I loike itmore an more.  Note:
>> all the O'Reilly books coming out now are done in docbook.
>>
>> 3. There has to be some tools on Sourceforge or Freshmeat that are
>> useful...maybe ?;)

>> On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Jason Mellen wrote:
>>
>> > Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 13:12:01 -0400
>> > From: Jason Mellen <jmellen@intellikey.com>
>> > To: seul-edu@seul.org
>> > Subject: [seul-edu] Publishing
>> >
>> > I wish I could be at Linux World Expo with you but I just couldn't make it.
>> >
>> > Anyway, next week (July 24-27) I will be attending the Walworth Yearbook
>> > Publishing conference in Orlando, Florida. Walsworth is the biggest yearbook
>> > compnay in the US. This is a Win/Mac dominated industry still and I will try
>> > and pass on information about Linux as I can.

Linux (like many other platforms out there) has a very powerful
(if not to say - the most powerful) publishing package
- LaTeX.

Why to stop with less?

If you are not comfort with text-markup, then there is
LyX (and KLyx) for making books or whatever publishing job.

>> > Does anyone know of any decent page layout tools. WYSISWYG preferably but
>> > anything is a good start. It would help to advocate if I had to software to
>> > back me up with. Sadly I can't even take a Linux box. Thanks for the

Then use LaTeX via telnet :-)

>> > suggestions.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
~ Russia ~ Karelia ~ Petrozavodsk ~ rnd@onego.ru ~
~ Friday, July 21, 2000 ~ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 ~