Re: [seul-edu] Math teachers...

I've tried to say too much here, sorry, but I think it's important.

> If you are using Linux to teach in your math programs, would you be able
> to provide me a list of programs that you make use of regularly, as well
> as a brief description of how it assists your classroom teaching?

> I know there's lots of software available, ...

There is, you can see it in all its bloody glory at:

http://archives.math.utk.edu

Currently, I am primarily using spreadsheets, gnuplot,
the WIMS server, and other internet resources for my math classes.

I don't know where your math teachers are in their planning of
their activities, but here's some thoughts on using computers
in the classroom that I've gleaned from my own experience.

Cover basic things first.
------------------------
There are some things that you absolutely have to use computers for
in mathematics.

1. You need a computer to draw the graphs of different kinds of
math equations.

Gnuplot is a standard app for that. You can also use a spreadsheet,
or the WIMS server.

2. Certain kinds of equations cannot be solved using algebra - they
have to be solved numerically using a computer.

pari/gp, MuPad, Maxima will do this, but these are difficult packages to
master, and not very glamorous.  The WIMS server http://wims.unice.fr/
is a better way to use those programs. The server is complex but it
can be scaled down to a K-12 level. You can also use a spreadsheet.

3. Small 2x2 or 3x3 systems of equations can be solved by hand, but
large systems of equations require the use of a computer to be solved.
The same is true for determinants and inverses of large matrices.

Spreadsheets like Xesslite will do this. Xesslite will also do
linear regression and has other features that make it a very nice
spreadsheet for math/sci applications. Gnumeric is another
good spreadsheet - you can do an amazing amount of things in
mathematics with nothing more than a spreadsheet. The WIMS server
will also solve systems of equations and handles matrices.

4. For high school calculus classes, some kinds of integrals have
no closed form and their solutions must be approximated using
numerical methods on a computer.

Again, accessing WIMS with a browser will do the trick. You can keep
a browser window open like a big calculator while you're doing
other things on the desktop or with pencil and paper.

5. Students need to have some experience with finding, analyzing,
and rendering data downloaded off the internet. This naturally leads
students into some experience with browsers, spreadsheets, ftp,
and telnet sessions. Some experience with unix text editors, shell
commands like "grep", "cut", "split", "sed", and simple scripting
for processing text files is really useful. If you've ever tried to
do anything with a very large data file using Windows editors or Word
you'll become a Linux convert fast.

6. Some experience with Tex, Latex, and Latex2html. Just basic
things, nothing complex. The new version of WIMS has a message board
that can be used to practice with Tex notation.

continued in the next message ...

lp