Re: [seul-edu] Update to Lean and Clean

On a machine with some room, set up a dummy version of the system with all
the kernel file where they need to go. For example, paths like

        /something_or_other/boot/vmlinux [or whatever your kernel is called]
        /something_or_other/lib/modules/2.2.16/net/3c59x.o
        /something_or_other/lib/modules/2.2.16/net/tulip.o
        /something_or_other/lib/modules/2.2.16/fs/msdos.o
        /something_or_other/lib/modules/2.2.16/ipv4/ip_masq_ftp.o
        /something_or_other/etc/lilo.conf

and so forth. Be sure to get everything you need for the new kernel.

Then

        cd /something_or_other
        tar -cvpfz custom_kernel.tgz *

Get custom_kernel.tgz to the new machines by whatever means is convenient
(ftp, nfs, or whatever) and un'tar in from the filesystem root directory (I
mean /, not the home directory of the account "root"). This will put
everything where it belongs. Run lilo to install the new boot block and you
should be set.

I've left out some details, but this should get you going.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com