[seul-edu] Math Teacher Guide - development

"There are three kinds of people, those who can
count, and those who can't" -- Anonymous Coward

I'm thinking of three parts of the development
process of the math teachers guide, something like
1) Submission, 2) Review, and 3) Final Copy.

1) People can submit anything they want to in any file
format. Text, html links, a spreadsheet, a Mathematica
file, a math test typed in Lyx or KLyx, a C program ...
You should submit a text description of what the
application is or what the activity is about.
If you have any links, book titles, or other
references include those also.

The general format for the actual math applications
that I'm currently using is

	Description
	Download Link(s)
	Discussion
	Generic Lesson Plans
	Example Labs
	Web Resources
	Books

But there is nothing fixed about this.

2) I think it is going to be wise to do some
review and rewriting of the teacher guide BEFORE
submitting a first version to Bill for Docbook format.

While I want to take time to interact with the
content to make it better, I'm trying also think
about the issues that Ray raised about tools
we have to work with, and realistic goals -- I
really want this thing to happen.

I've already got enough content so that a small
version of the guide will be ready in about two
weeks. So that's when most of the review and
rewriting will start.

I set up a temporary message board on the WIMS site
at Cochise to have the option of rendering math in
comments for the 'review' process. Make a link for a
large document containing lots of math.

I have an example of a message about math I dug up
out of the SEUL archives and you can see what it
looks like as text and as a rendered message.
If you want to use the message board before
the 'review' process starts (or just to
check it out) go to:

        http://cochise.cc.az.us/~wims/wims.cgi

Click on 'Forums'. Find the forum for the teacher
guide, click 'Register'. The password to register
for the message board is: 'hour26'. If you have
any trouble just send me an e-mail.

I want to reiterate that, even on the message board,
or in a link to a larger file, people can make all
submissions as text. I can take the responsibility
for doing markup in the case that rendering the math
might make a message more readable for review purposes.

3) To put the final copy in Docbook format,
I'll get the text part of the teacher guide arranged
(titles subsections, etc.) and try to figure out the
Dockbook math markup (it'll be a fun learning experience!)
and then send it on to Bill.

L. Prevett
Mathematics Instructor
Cochise College, Sierra Vista, AZ, US