Re: [seul-edu] Language to teach 10 year olds

The key thing I think the more academically minded are missing, IMHO, is
that these aren't CS majors we're talking about but grade school children.
Theory is useless.  Practical applications are what will pay real money when
the kids are out of school.

I occaisionally hire high school students for some programming work.  Nobody
is going to get a job with smalltalk or some other classroom-only language
as their core competency.  Show me strength in perl, python, C, tcl, etc. if
you want to actually have an after-school job, summer job, or half-day
mentorship during the school year.