Re: [seul-edu] Some discoveries

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 08:15:31 -0400
Doug Loss <dloss@suscom.net> wrote:

> For that matter, I'd like to hear similar things from everyone.

I'm not a teacher, and I'm only in loose contact with scools. However,
we've had a very bad news in France recently.

The french Academy of Sciences has turned in a report that was favorable to
software patents. Which is very likely to be the french position, which means that
software patents are more likely to be accepted in Europe.

This is a very dangerous treat to us, as patents are incompatible with Free Software.
This shows once again the hypocrisis of our government, which on one side
approves Free Software as a significant advantage for its citizens, and on the
other side, bows to the will of pro-patent lobbies. (Oh, and they advised for a
grant system to help "small companies" support patent lawsuit expenses. Very
funny!)

This report has been vividly criticized within the Free Software community.
But to what avail? Let's just hope the other european countries will be more
reasonable.

Have fun,
--
Thomas Tempé

Freedom's not granted.
It is this perpetual effort to give voice to those people
whose ideas you most despise.