Re: [seul-edu] What's current in gradebooks?

---------
>From: "William R. Lorenz" <wrl@pantek.com>
>To: "seul-edu@seul.org" <seul-edu@seul.org>
>Subject: Re: [seul-edu] What's current in gradebooks?
>Date: Sun, Jul 21, 2002, 3:50 PM
>

>Robert,
>
>This is my first post to the list, so please understand I'm new at this
>Linux in education thing. :)  Are you in the United States?  I am very
>interested in finding some case studies of Linux running in K-12 schools
>in the country.  I live in the Cleveland (Ohio) area and would like to get
>some schools up and running here, and I think case studies are needed to
>present the idea to the schools and gather their requirements.

As it happens, you're in luck.  There are a few websites that maintain just
what you're looking for.  I'm a bit biased, but I think one of the best is
<http://casestudy.seul.org>.  Although they're from all over the world, it
shouldn't be difficult to figure out which ones are from the US.  K12LTSP
also maintains a casestudy page <http://k12ltsp.org/casestudy.html> of
schools that are using their software.

>On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Robert Maynord wrote:
>
>> The principal at our school has asked me to look into gradebook systems.
>> We have been using spreadsheets, but the principal is looking for
>> something easier or more integrated for the teachers. We use Linux
>> throught the school, and all teachers have networked computers.

Take a look at the SEUL/edu Educational Applications Index
<http://richtech.ca/seul>.  The gradebooks are all in the Administrative
category, which is overly broad and needs to be divided into more specific
categories, but it should take only a few minutes to skim over the
descriptions of the apps there and jot down the ones that are or include
gradebooks.  You may also want to look at the Intranet category as some of
the apps there have grading capability built in.

Doug Loss
dloss@seul.org