Update on Logo (2 new java based logos)

Hi everybody,

it seems that two java based logos were released recently.  One of them
is Turtle Tracks, which (according to documentation) runs under linux.
It is rather pure version of logo, very similar to UCBLogo.  The major
difference is that it comes with a simple gui IDE, and that it is much
slower.  It looks like a great piece of work,  but at this point I would
recomend ucblogo, as it is much faster.  There are some nice things
about turtle tracks, though.  Give it a try.  Oh, and it is also GPLed.

The second one is starlogo.  It is very sophisticated simulation
environment based on logo.  It has multiple turtles, parallel
programming and a lot of other stuff.  It can do very interesting
simulations.  The problem is that, according to the documentation and my
own experience, it is currently supported only for windows (there is the
original Mac version which doesn't use java).  I tried it on solaris and
it randomly crashes soon after startup (before anything interesting can
happen).

I don't have java on my linux machine, so I tried both logos under
solaris in my office.  Turtle Tracks runs smoothly, Star Logo crashes
violently.  Maybe it will work better on linux.

--
Jan Hlav\'{a}\v{c}ek
lahvak@math.ohio-state.edu  (Blind Carbon Copies will bounce)