Re: Need help choosing WM for old machines

All the machines have 32 now. We had to replace some motherboards, and
we couldn't find any Socket 7s that would take the old 72pin EDO RAM. So
we'll be fast enough to run things.

Michael A Hamblin wrote:

> On Thu, 27 May 1999, Daniel Glenn wrote:
>
> > We just installed RedHat 6.0 on our old Pentium-100s and X Runs SLOW.
> > GNOME with Enlightenmnet doesn't cut it in only 16 megs of RAM
> > (especially considering that we have onboard VGA which means the Video
> > has to share RAM with the Main system)
>
> Those machines should be powerful enough to do KDE or GNOME fine.
> Particularly with Netscape, I believe you will find that 16Mb of RAM
> doesn't cut it no matter how fast the machine is. If you want to run
> Netscape at all, upgrade your RAM.
>
> That aside, Blackbox is optimized for speed and then looks, and it runs
> very well on 486-66s. But unless you get more RAM, that setup will always
> be slow. Netscape is just too much of a hog. I used a 486-120 with 16Mb of
> RAM and it was usable with KDE, until I started Netscape. And Netscape
> runs poorly on my quad-P166/128Mb... can't wait until Mozilla is released.
> The M5 of Mozilla is real nice, if it wasn't alpha code I would use it
> for everything. I did an hour of solid heavy web browsing and didn't even
> get it to hiccup. Netscape hiccups on every machine I've used it on just
>
> --
> Michael Hamblin            http://www.utdallas.edu/~michaelh/
> michaelh@utdallas.edu      http://www.ductape.net/
> UTD Linux User Group       Engineering and Computer Science Support x2997
begin:vcard
n:Glenn;Daniel
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.angelfire.com/on/WhiteHorse/