Programming Tools

I have just two questions to ask all of you :

Do you  know what kind of tools you need to make educational development
?
What are the main tools you are using for development ?

With my friends, we met teachers and saw a lot of demos of educational
software (free or shareware).
We will probably develop some of them for Linux using GTK for making
their interfaces.
We notice that many details are the same in those softwares and
therefore we are trying to classify them in order to develop libraries
to enhance development and maybe to construct a little "educational
engine" ... Not only interface details ...

But this is only a project for the present time but it will probably be
developped because it would help the teachers who are also developpers
to make their program easily for Linux ... Many of them are using Visual
Basic because it is an easy way to  make an educational software ...
What about making such a tool for Linux ?
It looks a good idea but it is also a difficult idea to make true ...
because we had to make choice and good choices to develop good and
useful libraries ...

We found four main kinds of tools :
- interface      :   to create easily new interface (dynamically ?)
(libglade + XML ??)
- multimedia   :   to manipulate pictures, sounds, videos
- network       :   to provide a easy way of making client/server
application
- data manipulation  : to manipulate data in different formats like a
filter beetween a format and XML, and maybe EDUML ...

Do you see any other fields ? If so, what kind of functions would you
put in this field ?

Vincent KONIECZEK
Eleve ingenieur a l'ENSIMAG - 2eme annee
                              option "Systeme et Reseau"
Email: vincent.konieczek@ensimag.imag.fr