what else? Re: [seul-edu] idled - could be useful

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Jim Thomas wrote:

Does anybody know if there is some way to lock virtual console(s)
password after, say, a minute?

(I am using "vlock -a" each tiem I go out of my 'puter visibility ;-)

>I just stumbled over a daemon called idled (pronounced idle-dee) which
>will monitor user activity and log them out after an extended period of
>idleness.
>
>http://www.darkwing.com/idled/

[snip]

>Since I adminster these machines remotely, I had taken to running "last"
>on all the machines every day after school to make sure no one stayed
>logged in over night, and killing their processes if they forgot to log
>out.

Mine learned "nohup" ;-) Probably even "at".

>idled works with XDM, and I'm going to find out if it'll work with kdm
>too (which is what we use).  Setting the TMOUT varaible in the student's
>shell would not work because our students don't use the shells (and a
>savvy student could redefine his TMOUT env var to avoid the automatic
>logout anyhow).
>
>I'll let the list know how this works out (although it might take a
>while, since school's out for the summer now).

Linux is very cool to give teacher power to switch unwanted
programs off. Some wish such thing existed for Windows ;-)
No more Quake at back end of the class.

But Linux also have good "boss-key" abilities:

Alt-Fn in X Windows could instantly bring you back to work.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd@onego.ru _/
_/ Thursday, June 21, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/