Re: [seul-edu] Network Monitoring Tools

now i don't know if anyone has suggested this and i don't know if it would work for you, but etherape run as root shows some good data on what machines are doing what with the computer running etherape. graphically. hope this helps

David

Jay Drew wrote:

 I have just set up  RedHat 6.2 box to function as a network monitoring station and am looking for suggestions for good "real-time" tools. In a past life, I used a tool that ran on the Mac OS and allowed for building of a graphic representation of the network with colored lines between devices showing traffic status. I cannot remember it's name, but I believe it simply used pings to determine latency.I really need something graphical so that when the superintendent or board members come in complaining I can just point to the monitor and show them where the problem is.I'm also looking for a packet sniffer that will resolve target IP addresses on the web. (catching porn peekers, etc.) Again, simple and graphical is necessary.Thanks,Jay <><-<><-<><-<><-<><-<><-<><-<><-<><-<><-<><
Jay Drew                 Lake Ridge Schools
Director of Technology      6111 W Ridge Rd
(219)838-1819                Gary, IN 46408
jdrew@lakeridge.k12.in.us