From: owner-seul-edu@seul.org [mailto:owner-seul-edu@seul.org]On Behalf
Of Doug Loss
Sent: 17 June 2002 18:16
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Subject: [seul-edu] ISO Phase 1--work time!

OK folks.  For most of us school is now out and there's no more
excuse for not helping in Phase 1 of the ISO project.  If you take a
look at <http://www.seul.org/edu/iso.html> you'll see that we need
people with teaching experience to look through the entries in our
App Index and identify candidates for inclusion from their
descriptions and web pages.  In doing so, be inclusive--if you're
not sure if a package should be included or not, include it.  We'll
filter marginal apps in Phase 2.  If you're not a teacher or school
administrator, find someone locally who is and who is willing to
help, and guide that person through our evaluation process.  That's
what I'm doing with a teacher and principal from a local parochial
school.

What we need is reports from as many of you as possible.  In your
report, list the category in the App Index you evaluated, the apps
you think merit further testing, and the reasons for rejecting the
apps you reject.  Don't worry if the category you pick has been
evaluated before by someone else; we need as many evals as possible
so we can fell comfortable that we're not giving just one person's
opinion on what's useful and what isn't.  If you see that a
particular category isn't getting many (or any!) evals, make an
effort to take a look at it or to find someone interested and
qualified to do so.  I'd like to complete Phase 1 by no later than
July 15.  I know some of you have already volunteered to do some of
these evals.  Now's the time, folks.  For those of you who haven't
spoken up yet, please lend us a hand.  It's not difficult or
particularly time consuming.  This is a place where we can all make
useful contributions to the cause of getting Linux and open
source/free software into the schools.  Let's move!