Re: [seul-edu] ISO and Phase 1 evaluation

| OK folks.  For most of us school is now out and there's no
| more excuse for not helping in Phase 1 of the ISO project.

Doug,

some of us are _still_ recovering from the aftermath.
There's been so much to do this year I've had to sprout a new
brain to accomodate it all (so the probability of me having
two heads on the single toss of a fair coin is not exactly
zero anymore .... )

I talked to some educators the other day and when I
mentioned SEULs educational software distribution
project their reply was "that would be a really
useful thing!" I think this is a good time to finally
get something out there.

I am working furiously to finish other projects and get back
to work on that math teachers guide. I think documentation
and examples of how to use the software is needed too.
In the meantime, and to show some interest, these are items
from the math software list I have experience with and would
recommend. I'll try to look at some of the others soon.

lp = L. Prevett, math instructor, high school/college
?? = haven't had time to look at them yet.

            lp Title
-- -- -- -- -- -----------------
            P2 Amaya
            P2 bc
            ?? Citrus
            P2 Dr Genius
            ?? EasyMaths
            ?? Eukleides
            ?? First_math
            ?? Fnord
            P2 geg
            ?? Geometry
            ?? GPLconx
            ?? HartMath
            ?? ISETL
            ?? Kalamaris
            ?? KGeo
            ?? KMatPlot
            ?? KmPlot
            ?? KPercentage
            P2 KSEG
            ?? KTimes
            ?? Leibnitz
            ?? Math Literature
            ?? MathMagic
            ?? MathPlanner
            ?? Mathtools
            ?? MathWar
            P2 Maxima
            P2 Mozilla/MathML
            P2 MuPAD
            ?? NetMath
            ?? PyGeo
            ?? Rlab
            ?? Scilab
            ?? Spotter
            ?? StatistX
            P2 TeXmacs
            P2 Tux of Math Command
            ?? VPython
            P2 WIMS
            P2 Yacas

MATH SOFTWARE NOT YET ON THE LIST
---------------------------------
sh-utils - Shell utilities FOR math that come with Linux
    expr - Used to evaluate numberical expressions.
    factor - Console applications that factors numbers into primes.
    seq - Used for creating sequences of numbers.
    units - Console units conversions
Pari-GP - number theory software
Octave - GNU software similar to Matlab.
R - Statistics program
gnumeric - spreadsheet
(other Linux spreadsheets?)
PVM - cluster software

GRAPHICS AND TEXT PROCESSING SOFTWARE USED FOR MATH
ee - Electric Eyes, a simple graphics program
Gimp - GNU image Manipulation Program
ImageMagik - graphics program with many features
Povray - ray tracing software
xpdf - for viewing pdf files.
TeX - for mathematics notation
Latex - for mathematics notation
pdflatex - Converts Latex to PDF
Latex2HTML - Converts Latex to HTML
pvmpov - implements Povray on a cluster

Do you want a list of commercial software,
graphics software, emulated software, and
websites to go into the distro? (See examples below.)

COMMERCIAL MATH SOFTWARE PORTED TO LINUX
Cinderella (commercial)
Learning Logic (commercial)
Mathematica (commercial)
MathAid (Commercial)
Matlab (commercial)

SOFTWARE REPORTED TO WORK UNDER WINE
------------------------------------
Geometers Sketchpad (commercial)

MATH WEBSITES THAT WORK WITH LINUX BROWSERS
(Netscape, Konqueror, Mozilla, Lynx, ... )
WIMS (website)
Harcourt Brace E-Labs (website)
MathMol (website)

L. Prevett