[seul-edu] OT: all about global warming

On Thursday 20 June 2002 11:18 am, mike eschman wrote:

> what's fringe about government efforts to mediate global warming effects ?

Well, for one thing, the assumption that global warming is actually occurring.
Such has never been scientifically established (indeed, the best evidence
suggests that the planet is actually cooling); there isn't even a consensus
about it among the scientific community.

Yet, we have an effort to involve impressionable schoolchildren in "research"
which is based on a questionable premise -- a premise which just happens to
be a cornerstone of the political agenda of the far Left.

> there is no other local venue funded to perform real science with k-12
> particpation, so it is a good venue for our schools.

This is sad.  It is not, of course, "real science" -- it has about the same
validity as the "creation science" being pushed by the fringe groups on the
other end of the political spectrum.  Unfortunately, American school children
are caught in the middle, being taught what to believe instead of how to
think.

Ken Barber
--
"Today, as in the past, most philosophers agree that the ultimate standard of
ethics is whim ... and the battle is only over the question of whose whim: