Re: [seul-edu] Open Source Applications Certification

tom poe wrote:

Open Source provides the end-user with the ability to "certify" to their
heart's content.
But what does that mean? That someone knows Linux merely because they say they do?

We routinely get angry phone calls from people who argue "I've been a sysadmin for years -- how DARE you fail me!".

Fact is, a lot of people who pass themselves off as experts are not. A mutually-respected third-party that can verify these skills has value to both people and those who would employ/contract them.

> Certification comes with proprietary stuff where end-users
are not able to check under the hood.  Must rely on "experts" who have
arranged to step in the shoes of the end-user.
Please elaborate, specifically how this applies to LPI. Don't paint all IT certs with the same brush, and don't make complaints that are so generalized as to be worthless because they can be neither proved nor disproved.

- Evan