Re: [seul-edu] Home schooling question

Bethany, not sure if you intended this message to reach me but I have
been mighty quiet on the mailing list for at least the last two years
(I'm trying to finish up building a home!).  Anyway, I believe I did
write about home schooling several years ago so here goes.

It just so happens that I work as an institutional researcher at a
2-yr community college.  We probably have quite a few students who are
home schooled attending and most students (< 21 years old) must submit
ACT or SAT test results in order to enroll for courses.  Here is the
problem, at least in our state, depending on where the student takes
the ACT test, the scores either remain in the institution's student
data base or are submitted to several institutions.  Once the student
is enrolled, an outside researcher would have to make a formal request
to conduct research in order to actually get the scores (because of
privacy laws, these scores would not have SSN or other ID information
attached).  Now, on to another issue; the definition of home schooled
could be tricky.  Some students who are home schooled will obtain a
GED diploma and their record may or may not indicate "high school" as
"home school".  In other cases, students will obtain a degree from a
church-affiliated school even though the actual mode of instruction is
home schooling.  You may already know all this so please excuse me if
I have just been covering old territory.  Self-reported data (e.g., from
a questionaire given to home school students probably wouldn't be
considered valid for peer-review research).  I know this is probably
not much help but feel free to reply if you have additional questions
(further correspondence should probably be off this mailing list.)

John Heuer