RE: [seul-edu] Home schooling question: parents better than

Hiya,

My point, which was unfortunately misunderstood, is that many factors
other than the home schooling could - and probably do - contribute to
the SAT results.

It was on this basis that I suggested that the probable implicit
conclusion - that home schooling is superior - is incorrect, on the
grounds that if these other factors were not considered, then it
followed that parents are better teachers  than teachers, which is
implausible.

I should note that you cannot respond by saying that I did not consider
the other factors. It is just this lack of consideration that I am
complaining about.  That's why I argued that IF these factors were not
considered, THEN the improbable conclusion results.

I am very aware that the home schooling environment is different from
the classroom environment. In fact, my point was that certain salient
features of this environment - which were not measured - may well have
been implicated in the test results.

The suggestion that my reasoning is incorrect because it is "subjective"
is disingenuous, to say the least, because my complaint just is that the
factors I cite were not measured in the data described.

When I complain that certain measurements have not been made, you cannot
accuse me of subjectivism on the grounds that the factors I mention have
not been measured.

Finally, as for betting big money, I can only observe that it is
fascinating how many people employ the Ramsey interpretation of
probability theory without having the slightest idea what it is.
http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Ramsey.html

This is especially ironic when contrasted with the complaints about
subjectivity.

-- Stephen

-
Stephen Downes ~ Senior Researcher ~ National Research Council Canada
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
http://www.downes.ca stephen@downes.ca
stephen.downes@nrc.ca http://www.iit.nrc.ca/e-learning.html
Subscribe to my free daily newsletter featuring news and articles
about online knowledge, learning, community
http://www.downes.ca/cgi-bin/website/subscribe.cgi
or read it at http://www.downes.ca/news/OLDaily.htm
-