Re: [seul-edu] XML

linuxkernel@newmail.net wrote:

> Sorry for this not-so-on-topic message.
>
> I have read many mentions of xml over here, and I have gone to xml.org try
> to find out more information about it, unfortunately there isn't much there.
>
> Since many of you are writting things that rely heavily on xml to share
> data, would you tell me where can I find more useful info about xml, please?
>
> Thanks !

I think a good place to start would be

http://www.w3.org

You can read about xml and download the experimental Amaya browser at

http://www.w3.org/Amaya

We are experimenting with the Amaya Browser for putting math notation into
e-mail. Students and colleagues can send assignments and math questions to
each other if the sender and recipient both have the browser.

You send the email with the math markup in it as an attachment. Then configure
everything so that when you click on the attachment it is handled by the Amaya
browser.  The Amaya browser is not an 'industrial' strength browser like
Netscape, it's just a baby: you have to be patient and coax it to do various
things.
But it really is useful (and it's cute!)

A useful book is the "Latex Web Companion, Integrating TeX, HTML, XML" by
Goosens and Rahtz. In that book they mention a few other web sites on XML:

http://www.ucc.ie/xml/
http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/
http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/sgmlnew.html
http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/xml.html