[seul-edu] Re: [seul-edu] SIF on Slashdot, plus Pangée update

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 20:14:10 Eric Sandeen wrote:
> I submitted the Schools Interoperability Framework project / Zone
> Integration Server story to Slashdot about 3 months ago... it finally hit,
> and seems to be generating some interesting discussion.  Just thought I'd
> let you all know.

First of all,  hello! I didn't really leave the list after all ;)

This all seems very interesting, with insightful comments.
However, I think I missed something:

Doug Loss compared SIF and EduML. First of all, If I got it right, SIF
is an interchange framework. But does it interfer with the use of EduML?

And how would a SIF environment compare to Casbah/EduML? I believe
Casbah is a generic, very wide framework. But wouldn't the Casbah/EduML
couple lack a data server/repository that would support the many Casbah
protocols? Even through that's OSS, it might well not get wide
acceptance...
How comes there were so few posts about Casbah/EduML?

And, last question, what would be the implications of the SIF's license
not being OSS-complient? I thought it was only the license for their
sample implementation of SIF, but we can still build GPLed ot BSDish
implementations on our side, right?

Well, and if you want to check out http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~ttempe,
there's been some update on the Pangée project specifications there.
(french only again. Sorry...)
Looks to me like the design is complete. We're now starting to code the
beast. We settled for the Java language (quite unexpectedly). If anyone
would mind looking at the server's architecture? I feel kinda unsure
about it. Again, feedback is all the blessing I could wish for;)

Have fun,

Thomas Tempé

--
Maybe computer Science should be in the College of Theology.
		-- R. S. Barton