Re: [seul-edu] How would the kids login in the labs?

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Dennis Brown wrote:

>     I have pondered many Linux setups for schools and one problem has
> always came up: How do you login in the lab? Since kids login on
> different machines each time they have to be authorized on every machine
> they go in. But becuase in schools the user database can reach from 300
> -> 2000 people it would be a tedious job to update each machine
> individualy. Is there a way that the schools/companies can update the
> user database from a central server? Thanks,

You would mostlikely want to use NIS, yes, it's clear text passwords
(hashed), but it works rather well.  Our student database at corbett is
about 800 students, and it works just fine.

We are using GDM for the login manager, and have two NIS servers (main,
and a slave server as a backup).

We are using NFS for the /home and a few other things, and will migrate to
total nfs root as soon as we can redo the wiring for the lab.

			Harry