Re: [seul-edu] Linux in education docs

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 01:39:26AM -0500, Jacques Fortier wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I've put together my template for the webpage of documentation on
> using linux in education.  Now, I just need two things.  First, I need
> documentation to which to link.  If you know of anything, please send it
> to me.  If it's non-English, I'd appreciate a blurb and title in both
> English and the original language.  If it is English, I'd still appreciate
> a blurb in English.
> 	Also, how do I put the page onto the seul website?  I e-mailed the
> pub-ww folks a day or so ago, but haven't heard anything back yet.
>
> Jacques Fortier

You've got an account on cran, which is the first step.

From your cran account:

1) cd /home/jfortier
2) mkdir -p work/seul
3) cd work/seul
4) cvs -d /home/seul/cvsroot/ checkout .
(don't forget the .)
5) cd edu/html
edit stuff, do cvs adds of files, etc
6) cvs commit

are you familiar with cvs?
http://www.seul.org/sys/doc/cvs/ might give you a little help

you can actually keep your repository on your local machine, if you
have a machine that you're more comfortable doing editing from.

in that case, you would replace steps 1 through 4 with:
1) cd somewhere on your local machine that is an empty dir
2) set your CVS_RSH variable to 'ssh'
3) cvs -d :ext:jfortier@cvs.seul.org:/home/seul/cvsroot/ checkout .

You will end up typing your cran password on each checkout or
update or commit, unless you've set up rsa authentication for ssh
(this is another topic, though it's pretty straightforward to do).

before you do new editing, always do a 'cvs update' to make sure to
integrate the changes that other people have made.

and don't try adding new directories yet, because i think there are
some bugs in our cvs handling. :) send me mail with what directories
you want to add, and i'll make that happen.

hey mike, want to go through the archives and find the several other
times i wrote up this mail, and turn this into a document that's in
the seul-pub hierarchy and easy to read?

--roger