RE: [seul-edu] How would the kids login in the labs?

>     I have pondered many Linux setups for schools and one problem has
> always came up: How do you login in the lab? Since kids login on
> different machines each time they have to be authorized on
> every machine
> they go in. But becuase in schools the user database can
> reach from 300
> -> 2000 people it would be a tedious job to update each machine
> individualy. Is there a way that the schools/companies can update the
> user database from a central server? Thanks,

You have allready gotten a lot of good suggestion, here's another :-)

If you are in a network that is or will be shared with windows, a
samba-server could do all this for you.  You can set up pam (password
authentication model i think..) to authenticate with a samba-server, mount
home-directories etc.  I know it's not quite as easy as NIS, but for
cooperation with MS-systems it is the best solution.

Regards, EOF