Re: [seul-edu] long usernames?

Well, I have my own ugly hack, but I will probably
improve it, because it doesn't check for duplicate names
and I had 2 brothers with nearly the same names.
(although it created the other 299 correctly).  I have
to do this at least 2 times a year.  At some point I
will also have to build in a mechanism to see if the
person already exists (or ask the front office to figure
out how to tell me who are new students).

Anyway, if you are planning on using it ASAP, you can
have it (improve it if you are bored).  Let me know.

Bill

Quoting "Jaime Herazo B." <sala@cbint.org>:

> Any idea on how to create usernames from common names
that fit in the
> 8-character limit? I tried the psntools package, but
it created only the
> user directories without actually creating the users.
So, i'm doing it
> myself in perl, but i'm wondering if somebody has done
it already (to
> not reinvent the wheel and doing another ugly hack :)
>

> > You may run into some login problems if you do go
more than 8, as the
> login
> > program will only deal with the first 8 (at least on
6.1 and below)  You
> > will also get truncated owner names on the directory
listings.

> > Most likely you would be better off sticking with
the traditional 8
> > character login.

TASIS (The American School In Switzerland)
Lugano-Montagnola, Switzerland
<http://www.tasis.ch/>