Re: [seul-edu] Easy to use educational software

Chris Calise wrote:

> Hello, my name is Chris Calise.
>
> Please forgive me for stepping on my soapbox for a second. I have
> founded the User Friendly Developers Association (Membership - 2)
> because of my concern that technology is getting way too complicated. I
> believe that technology should be accessible to everyone especially open
> source. I have pledged to try my best to make a difference. It is my
> fervent hope that the open source movement will embrace the principles
> of UFDA. UFDA is based on the algorithm KISS. In debating the questions
> about open source in schools, the common thread is that teachers don't
> have the time, or the trainers to learn and implement a change in
> desktop OS. And even with the growing simplicity of Linux and LTSP,
> running open source is still a steeper learning curve than the usual
> teacher can handle. And if this technology is too difficult for our
> educators, what about my retired in-laws? They say "Linux is user
> friendly, it's just particular who its friends are". Maybe it's time for
> Linux to befriend the world. Let's create easy to use educational
> software and a  true wired classroom where there are no textbooks, just
> keyboards and monitors. Open Source Now!

Well, the common thread of teachers not having the time or ability to
learn is a troubling idea.  How did they first learn the slide rule,
calculators, Apple II, DOS, Mac OS, Windows, OS/2, Win 95, Windows 2000,
or now perhaps Linux.  The nature of Linux and GPL'd software permits it
to be adapted to accomodate almost any shortcoming in the user
interface.  The X Window System is still the most advanced user
interface readily avaialable, and thus can be the most complex but also
the most user friendly.

I think there is a deeper underlying struggle here other than simple
user interface issues.  There are those who do not want to take on the
responsibility of operating a computer, regardless of how well it can
enhance their effectiveness and efficiency.

Is the problem really that Linux technology is too hard to use?  Or is
it some combination of the fact that Linux/X is more rich and powerful
and many end users don't want to learn anything they perceive as being
new or giving them control and responsibility over their computer?  I
often sense a fear when dealing with educators about computing.  It
reminds me disturbingly of Math phobia.  Is there a way to overcome this
with Linux or a better user interface?  In the past I have simply taken
a hard line, something like, "this is simply the way it works and you
have to use it to get the job done".  The hard line seems to work most
of the time but I would really like a better way than providing folks
with an appeal to a higher authority.  Is there some way to present
Linux that would spark the deeply buried curiosity and excitement about
learning something new?

My 2 cents,

- cameron

--