Re: [seul-edu] Wireless Lab

On Sat, 2002-03-09 at 20:54, John L. Johnson wrote:

> Would Linux support this type of lab configuration? I'm a new user to
> Linux and am dreaming about a grant to set up a wireless lab of 30
> laptops. Any input (yes, it is possible or forget it dude) would be
> great. If you have any ballpark dollar amounts that would be interesting
> too.

Our school bought four carts of laptops for students and a laptop for
each teacher (don't get too jealous, we're an inner city public school,
so we still have plenty of problems).  Anyhow, by district orders
they're running Windows 2000.  I've been dual-booting between Linux and
Win2k all year, however.

My Dell Latitude 500 with their TrueMobile wireless card works almost
perfectly with a Mandrake 8.1 install--with no tweaking on my part.  The
wireless card doesn't wake from sleep, and I haven't tried to figure out
how to use the hot-swappable floppy drive.  If it isn't difficult for
you to download and burn a copy of Mandrake 8.1, I'd just try installing
it and see if it works.

--Tom