[seul-edu] Collecting Assessments at District Level

I continue to enjoy the discussions with this list.  Thank you all for
continuing to look for ways to move linux into education.

As a district, we are starting to collect a large amount of assessment
data from the local level, the State level, and the National level
(ITBS, PLAN, etc).  Currently I have a MySQL database set up that is
integrated with Zope to serve up the data we are collecting.  The
problem is that I don't know that much about database planning and am
finding that it is difficult to scale this thing over time.

Any suggestions on the formatting of a relational assessment database
(i.e. table structures that deal with student data, test structures, and
test data...almost a data warehouse concept?) or web enabled software
options that are out there that allow for data entry, viewing,
reporting, and charting?  I have checked the seul-edu list, freshmeat,
and google.

Some really neat projects that are similar to what I am looking for are
the State of Washington and Massachusetts web education spaces.
http://www.k12.wa.us -- look at the Ed Profile
http://www.ves.ws/nsportal.html -- Virtual Education Space

 From what I have seen, the above projects are commissioned at the State
Level and are not publicly available packages.  Ideas?

--
Stephen Braunius
Director of Instructional Technology