[seul-edu] Upgrading Samba help

Hey all...

I belonged to this list last year but stopped teaching high school in June
so I had taken myself off this list.  I still help the small private school
(that I used to teach at) keep up their system (mostly remotely) and
occasionally visit on a weekend to do maintenance.  Tomorrow happens to be
one of those weekend visits.  So, not having a huge need to keep current on
some issues, I've tried to starting reading some info on Samba 2.2.3a and
how this will change their situation, but I was wondering if anyone can
give me some hints or tips on what to watch for or consider when making the
switch.

Here's the situation.  Four servers, each running a host of daemons for
different things, all have Samba on them.
- Login/home directory server (currently Samba 2.0.7, RH 6.2)
- Web server, Samba (2.0.7) used for file sharing on WWW directory (for
students and faculty) (RH 6.2)
- CD Server (Samba 2.0.7, RH 6.2)
- Print Server (Samba 2.0.5, RH 6.1 - I think, it's a very old machine)

The biggest need for the change is that their starting to get some new
computers with state money and their all XP.  Other than that, all
computers are running Win 95/98.  I'm new to the PDC game and am still a
little fuzzy on what I'm going to need to change/do. Any help would be
appreciated.

As a side note, a while back I had considered putting NIS in place since
students were learning some Linux and had a different password on each
server. (web and Login server).  As far as Samba goes, all servers checked
against the main login server, so that wasn't an issue.  Is NIS the best route?

Okay, a lot of questions and probably to much time to ask of you all.  I
appreciate the help... very much so.

Blessings...
ryan

Ryan J. Booz
Information Technology Associate
Center for Education Technology Services
http://cac.psu.edu/training
224B Computer Building
University Park, PA 16802-2101
Office: 814-863-7491