Re: [seul-edu] ISO progress

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 15:47, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:49:18PM -0500, Doug Loss wrote:
> > Phase 4
>
> > Second, if we are working through DebianEdu to develop the DEB versions
> > of our apps, does it make sense for us to put the DEBs on our ISO?
> > After all, they'll be part of Debian and should be installable over the
> > internet using standard Debian tools and methods, right?
>
> Therefore, at the very least, I think we would need an apt-gettable
> repository of backported debs for current Debian stable.  And if you're
> going to go to the bother of doing that, why not also include the debs on
> the CD for the convenience of those without broadband?

That all sounds reasonable.  I'm certainly not advocating withholding
the DEBs; I just wanted to make sure that we weren't needlessly
duplicating something otherwise easily available.

> > along with some that don't show up on these lists like Synaptic.  I have
> > been pushing Synaptic, but if we don't include the DEBs much of the
> > benefit of Synaptic over other methods goes away.  Also, there are
> > programs like Autopackage that try to provide a distro-neutral packaging
> > system--should we think about using something like this and foregoing
> > the idea of having our work easily bundlable with existing distros?
>
> I'm all for investigating other alternatives.  I have tried synaptic myself
> and it's not something I particularly like for personal use, although maybe
> it's just one of those things that would appeal to our audience more than to
> me (being a die-hard apt-get freak and all :)

Our installer either has to accommodate packages in all the different
formats or we have to automatically start different installers for each
format (IMHO).  Unless of course we drop the idea of providing packages
in distro-native formats and go with some distro-neutral packaging that
isn't native to anything, which would of course eliminate the idea of
having our work easily bundlable with various distros.  That's something
we need to talk about.

--
If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss              All you need in this life is
drloss@suscom.net      ignorance and confidence,
                       and then success is sure.
                         Mark Twain