Re: [seul-edu] Phase 1: EduGames

On 13 Mar 2003, Doug Loss wrote:

> For Phase 2 eval purposes, it doesn't matter what distro you use.  We're
> evaluating the apps for their educational utility, not for any technical
> reasons.  Once an app passes Phase 2, the packagers will work on distro
> applicability.  Of course, our intent is that the apps work on pretty
> much _every_ distro.

I plan to attempt to make sure these are all available in the pkgsrc
collection too.

pkgsrc is a hierarchy of categorized directories containing instructions
(and patches if needed) for checking dependencies (and recursively
handling), retrieving source, verifying source, patching source,
configuring, building, installing (in the correct location), and
registering the installed files (and dependencies). (pkgsrc was based on
the FreeBSD ports tools, but has changed a lot since then.)

pkgsrc is primarily used for NetBSD, but also provides an easy-way to
build and install software from source on Solaris, Mac OS X, Darwin, AIX,
Linux and other systems (using same collection). It also provides tools
for managing binary (ready-to-use) packages.

In fact, pkgsrc (plus additional packages) is used for a new Linux distro
in use since October and to be officially announced by Puget Sound
Technology at LinuxFest Northwest at the end of April.

I hope to be able to add many of these useful educational software apps to
pkgsrc. (Usually it takes me between 15 minutes and a couple hours to
correctly build and test each new package.) Any pkgsrc users interested in
helping?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.isp-faq.com/