Re: Servers as appliances

Ray Olszewski writes:

 > 3. Have you looked at the setup systems used by products like the
 > Cobalt Qube? I've only read reviews of the product, not seen it in
 > action, but the reviews make it sound like there's a lot to be
 > learned about simplifying setup from a system like this. (Is any of
 > their stuff GPL'd? I can't find any materials available for
 > downloading at their Web site.)

hello,

i used to work for cobalt.  their admin code is not gpl'ed.  it is
proprietary.  during my time there, there was some talk of gpl'ing it,
but that was at the leaf-contributor level; management did not support
that vision.  from what i know, there are no plans to move in that
direction, either.  that code is basically their only value-added (aside
from the cute-box factor) and so it is in their interest not to share
it w/ others.

you can subscribe to cobalt user and developer mailing lists by sending
mail to majordomo@cobaltnet.com with the following in the body:

	subscribe cobalt-users [email]
	subscribe cobalt-developers [email]

the `[email]' is optional.  these lists are moderate volume, and are
useful in assessing what issues these groups find relevant and how the
issues are resolved.

thi