Re: Linux for Learning

> The first question would be.. How do you use proprietary software in schools?
> If I knew how you use current software and what software you use, I could
> offer alternatives.
>
> Below are some ideas..
>
> Mark
> mwd@sgi.com

This gives me an idea -- why don't we set up a table, with proprietary
software that schools typically use on one side, and free alternatives
(the more the merrier, plus pages describing how to configure them well)
on the other side.
I'm sure such pages exist for general software (actually, I haven't found
any that were publicized very far, and I tend to keep a close eye on all
the Linux announcements sites/lists), but this would be tailored specifically
to k-12 use, so it would include typing tutors, word processors, gradebooks,
web proxies for limiting web access, etc.

We're not going to be able to make this list without the help of the people
who are actually *in* the schools using the software, so they can list
real programs that we should list alternatives for.

We should actually get some resources out there and useful to schools,
else we're just going to stay a discussion list.

--Roger