Re: Gradebook Questions

Bradley Burnside wrote:

>     I am currently working on writting a function for GnomeGradeBook that adds new
> students to the school database.  The function is just a simple dialog window which asks
> you to fill out a profile form of the student.  Not being an administrative type I don't
> know what kind of information should be saved in this profile.  Any suggestions of what
> should be included would be appreciated.
>     I've also read that there are some people working on a Gradebook definition.  Where
> would I find this and what is the status/progress of the this project?

Good question.  Tim Wilson, if there hasn't been any activity on this
for a while, why don't we try to get some discussion going on the list?
This could help both Bradley and Justin in their development work.  I'd
like to hear from educators in many different school systems just what
are basic requirements of a gradebook program, what things are not
absolutely necessary but very desirable, and what things would be nice
to have if feasible.  Let's try to get this discussion going and see if
we can come up with a good functional definition of a gradebook program.

Steve Tonnesen, how would a gradebook program interact with your
K12AccountAdmin software?  It seems to me that both programs would be
registering info about users (students), so they should logically be
aware of each other and interact in some way.  I'd suggest that if both
use Bruno's EDUML as their primary data format such interaction would be
nearly automatic, but I don't know the intricacies of either program (or
type of program) enough to make definitive statements to that effect.  I
encourage Bradley, Justin and Steve to contact each other and see what
commonalities their respective programs share.

--
Doug Loss                 A life spent making mistakes is not only
Data Network Coordinator  more honorable, but more useful than a