Re: [seul-edu] Re: Development of Free Portal Software

I tried to contact a person that I know is working on this at Princeton and
haven't been contacted back.  If i do manage to find out more, I'll pass it on.

At 12:52 PM 05/14/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 07:08:57PM -0700, Bill Ries-Knight wrote:
> > I have been very occupied over the last few months, but here
> > is some food for discussion....
> > http://chronicle.com/free/2000/05/2000050501t.ht
>
>very interesting... in which I discover my local university and a bunch of
>others are writing a generic free portal in java to be used as the unique
>portal (entry point, log-in point, centralized and personalized relevant info
>center) for educational institutions.
>
>The software will be ready in july they claim and provide no cvs access.  I
>do agree that having a single portal per educational institution is the way
>to go, avoiding the "free" portals that use advertising is not the way to go
>(partly because of the ads, partly because nothing guarantees they will
>still be around in a few months/years)
>
>students/staff should only have to manage one password/entry point
>per institution.  All relevant/timely data should be synchronized and
>displayed on a single screen if possible. My dream is to see students/staff
>login from anywhere and immediately know what they need to do that day, some
>idea of progress done so far (bargraphs?), avoid cluttering with
>possibilities and show only directly relevant links for the work to be done.
>
>As more and more students use several institutions at the same time, we will
>need to setup global educational portals that present all the relevant info
>on one screen and provide a single entry/login point
>
>Bruno

Jeremy Hunsinger          	http://www.cddc.vt.edu
Instructor of Political Science	Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Webmaster/Manager CDDC
526 Major Williams Hall 0130	http://www.cddc.vt.edu/jeremy --my homepage
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061		(540)-231-7614