[seul-edu] Speech Recognition for Linux

    Quite lately, I had the dream of typing my note by talking. Well, I
was on the search for a free and flexible speech engine. Well, there was
nothing that great I could find for Linux or even Windows. Emacspeak was
hard to configure, it messed up my mouse while searching for COM ports,
and ViaVoice was quite a large download for a 56k modem. But there was
one piece of software for Windows that cought my eye but wounldn't work
for my purpose either. It was MS Agent. A free way to interact with your
computer using a microphone. What would happen is a little charector
(Peedy has to be the best!) would sit there on your screen and the
program that runs on top of ms-agent (agent is more like a library that
other programs run on top of (actually an ActiveX control)) would listen
for keyboard, mouse and microphone input. This little charector would
make the ease of use of your computer quite easy. Since I try to stay
away from MS products, I was hopping something like this could be
implemented in Linux. This would make the world of Linux a lot easier
and fun in schools.

Kevin Brown.

MSAgent can be experimented with from http://msdn.microsoft.com/msagent/