[arturo@mezcal.dyndns.org: Re: [dprentice@uno.edu: Re: [seul-edu] linux needs]]

----- Forwarded message from owner-seul-edu@seul.org -----

Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 00:09:45 -0500 (CDT)
From: Arturo Espinosa Aldama <arturo@mezcal.dyndns.org>
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Subject: Re: [dprentice@uno.edu: Re: [seul-edu] linux needs]

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from owner-seul-edu@seul.org -----
>
> Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 19:25:39 -0500
> From: Dave Prentice <dprentice@uno.edu>
> Subject: Re: [seul-edu] linux needs
> To: seul-edu@seul.org
>
> Harry,
>     I have 6 Pentiums (a 75mhz, 3 90's, and a 166) that I could use as X
> servers for the 11 486s -- but I don't have a clue how to set up an xterm.
> (I'm still on the lower part of the Linux learning curve.) Where do I go to
> find out?

The easiest way is to use gdm as the xdm server (instead of the standard
xdm program). You'll probably have to do little configuration on that
side, but check /etc/gdm.conf, and /usr/doc/gdm*/* (if you are using
an rpm-based system). If you are using RedHat, and you have configured the
Pentium equipment to boot with a graphic login, you are already using gdm.

Be sure to tell the X server in the 486s to use the X font server (xfs) of
the host system (the pentiums), and don't start the xfs service (use
tksysv to configure this). This will save some memory, useful for
graphics-intensive apps, such as Netscape or image manipulation programs.

I wouldn't recommend you to use more than one X-terminal per Pentium
machine, but you could try, to see if you are satisfied with the result.

Greetings,
Arturo

----- End forwarded message -----