Re: [seul-edu] [OT] beacon under fire

Thanks to Karl for his wonderful write up of our description. Of course,
right after he sent the note, Columbia University's internet service (our
ISP) died, so anyone who tried to get to the site got bonked. Looks like
we're back up now, so anyone who wants to write a letter or see what's
up, we would greatly appreciate the support.

Thanks!

-- Chris

On Wed, 2 May 2001, Karl wrote:

> I just read this news (below) about the Beacon School, and thought that
> some of SEUL-EDU's members might understand the important
> educational-issues Beacon advocates, and inscribes upon young pioneers.
>

> Here's the summary:
> 	http://www.beaconschool.org/newsarticle.php3?id=106
> -- Beacon Portfolios Under Fire Commissioner Rules; Consortium Responds --
>
> "... On Tuesday April 24th, New York State Education Commissioner Richard
> Mills released his ruling stating that the Beacon School and more than 30
> other schools statewide that use similiar graduation standards must,
> instead, conform to required high-stakes standardized tests. The
> Commissioner's ruling was not unexpected, and our schools have been quick
> to respond. Parents and supporters are invited to take part in our protest
> of Mills' ruling by attending the May 7th rally in Albany and by sending
> letters and emails to state officials by using this page. ..."
>

> Here's Beacon's impressive PHP advocacy form:
> 	http://www.beaconschool.org/action/
>
> This blurb describes that attitude that fuels the GNU/Linux presence at
> Beacon School:
> 	http://www.beaconschool.org/~clehmann/opensource.html
>

> Chris-- the PHP (advocacy) form left me speechless; impressive.
>
> Raptor-- Beacon's educational philosophies seem to be close to SLC's. Any
> ideeas about how we can help support the cause?
> 	http://www.beaconschool.org/aboutbeacon/unique.php
> 	http://www.beaconschool.org/aboutbeacon/mission.php
>
> 	http://www.beaconschool.org/aboutbeacon/vision.php
> "... While traditional testing is used at Beacon, our students'
> performance is largely assessed through interdisciplinary projects,
> completed individually and in groups. ..."
> 	http://www.slc.edu/about/index.html
>

> The disinterested-- I apologize for the extra kilobytes.
>

> good luck, Beacon!
> Please let me know how things go after the May 7th rally!
>  -Karl
>

> Sarah Lawrence College 1999

"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and
hands, and then work outward from there."
              -- Robert Pirsig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance