Re: [Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] Looking for math curriculum]

Hello, all

This whole topic is of major interest, be it the general use of
computers in classrooms or how to solve issues as the ones in
Louisiana.

> > >     My question: does anybody have contacts or information about
> > > computer-based remedial math programs for at-risk high school students?
> > > We really need a comprehensive curriculum that starts from the basics
> > > such as number sense, counting and so on. Ideally, it should progress
> > > all the way through Algebra 1 and geometry. If it matters, the network
> > > runs Linux but can also access anything on the Internet. I don't have
> > > good enough hardware to run Windows emulation at any decent speed.

It seems to me that there really is precious little that will happen
if one just buys a bunch of computers - even if lots of fancy software
is included (yes, even if its our favourite Linux).  We do need to
get our students to use the darned things and to learn from using
them.

What Im betting on up here in the north Atlantic is to use a
carrot-and-stick argument (though mainly the stick)...

Current stick: Currently the students do have to hand in homework.  In
practice this is often poorly worked-up (i.e. dead-wrong and totally
silly answers) or copied but there is a requirement to hand it in -
otherwise they do not qualify to take the exams.

Suggested alternative stick: The students do not get to take the final
exam unless they have handed in on-line homework.  They have to answer
x% of the on-line questions (correctly) in order to qualify to take
the exam. I see x as 75, which is our mandatory return rate for
(copied and erroneous) homework.  This time x refers to correct
answers to many short quiz questions.

Current carrot: They get to take the exam.

New carrot 0: The same.

New carrot 1: The on-line homework is very fast to answer (many small
quiz questions) and replaces long and tedious math assignments [yes,
that's just an ad - there are very *many* multiple-choice questions].

New carrot 2: If you qualify for taking the exam then you are almost
certain to pass it (yup, this does mean putting a LOT of work into
the quiz questions).

Any experience from or thought on this sort of scheme?