Re: [seul-edu] Draft Review

thoughts:

2nd paragraph:  Viruses are a mostly Windows problem, but security
issues are not.  It damages SEUL's/schoolforge's credibility with
knowledgeable users and admins.

2nd paragraph:  I wouldn't try to tie in any other issues - the one at
hand is licensing and donated computers, and bringing in viruses
confuses people.

I think linking to the site and reproducing the relevant text would be
very worthwhile.  That way, if they change it we still have the
original, and we can note that they changed it when people noticed it.
It would also be helpful to have links to the applicable EULAs (Win2k,
WinXP, Win9x).

Here's the relevant portion of the Win2k OEM EULA:

*****

IMPORTANT-READ CAREFULLY: This End-User
License Agreement ("EULA") is a legal agreement between
you (either an individual or a single entity) and the
manufacturer ("Manufacturer") of the computer system or computer
system component ("HARDWARE") with which you acquired the
Microsoft software product(s) identified above ("SOFTWARE
PRODUCT" or "SOFTWARE"). If the SOFTWARE
PRODUCT is not accompanied by new HARDWARE, you may not use
or copy the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. The SOFTWARE
PRODUCT includes computer software, the associated media, any
printed materials, and any "online" or electronic documentation.
This EULA is valid and grants the end-user license rights ONLY if
the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is genuine and a genuine Certificate of
Authenticity for the PRODUCT SOFTWARE is provided with the
SOFTWARE PRODUCT. Any software provided along with the
SOFTWARE PRODUCT that is associated with a separate end-user
license agreement is licensed to you under the terms of that
license agreement. You agree to be bound by the terms of this
EULA by installing, copying, downloading, accessing or otherwise
using the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. If you do not agree, Manufacturer
and Microsoft Licensing, Inc. ("MS") are unwilling to license the
SOFTWARE PRODUCT to you. In such event, you may not use or copy
the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, and you should promptly contact
Manufacturer for instructions on return of the unused product(s)
in accordance with Manufacturer's return policies.

*****

This is very clear that the software can only be used with the original
hardware, but says *nothing* about using the hardware with other
software.  There are a couple of other portions that apply to re-using
the software/hardware, but they are essentially the same.

It is important to understand that the mindset being presented here
assumes that the Microsoft is the only operating system that anyone
would consider.  I think the tone of the release is wrong, because it
attacks Microsoft and is negative.

Spin it this way instead:

LINUX ALLOWS SCHOOLS TO USE DONATED HARDWARE

Microsoft says it is illegal for schools to use donated hardware without
an OS license; Linux allows schools to bypass that restriction

Leon Brooks, a spokesperson for the Simple End User Linux group
(seul.org), offered an alternative to schools who need to use donated
hardware.  "This legal restriction applies only to Microsoft software,"
Brooks says.  "Open Source Software such as the Linux operating system
can legally be run on donated hardware if all the previous software is
simply erased.  There are no licenses, no restrictions on use, and there
no hassle with Open Source Software."

etc ... etc

Don't spin it negative.  In my experience, people don't like negative,
even if they agree with it.  Offer a new path, an easier path, and
portray Linux as the better solution without using words like
"draconian".  Link in the App list, plug the case studies, and provide
links to schoolforge, etc.  Make the case on Linux's (ewwww) merits
rather than Microsofts faults.  Don't let your anger and disgust show
through, because it puts people off.  The part after the first two
paragraphs does this very well, but most people won't read past the
first two paragraphs when they see the anti-Microsoft tone and wording.

Matt

--
Matt Drew
Red Hat, Inc