Re: [seul-edu] Finishing touches to MS rebuttal

Hi Leon and others

I recently signed up on this list as I saw that Leon was cross-posting some
messages to our LUG wrt Linux and education. Scanning the May archive, I'm
not sure where you are up to with the press release, or whether Computer
Angels is still included in the message:

 > [9] Western Australia's Computer Angels[9a] already use Linux rather
than risk
 >     being destroyed at the whim of a well-supported business[9b] as `PCs for
 >     Kids'[9c] effectively was late last year, and a similar organisation in
 >     New Zealand was in 1997[9d]. On the other side of the coin, Linux
 >     suppliers and users have a long tradition of supporting[9e] worthy
 >     organisations. Larger and American organisations are not immune,
there's a
 >     long list victims[9f], with only one fine under USD$50,000 and some
 >     exceeding USD$500,000.
 >
 > [9a] http://www.ca.asn.au/
 >
 > [9b] http://www.bsaa.com.au/

Your arguments for why Computer Angels uses Linux are incorrect. Our ethos
is computer literacy and OSS allows us to provide that literacy at many levels.

The flexibility and freedom of the open license and the low system
requirements of the Linux operating system and software allows us to
distribute refurbished computers at low cost.

Please update your statement in the imminent [seul-edu] press release.

All the best
Jacqueline
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)