[seul-edu] Re: [school-discuss] A cry for help,

This is a nice "snap shot" of where it seems to me most of us are.
The few who have gone beyond this seem to be too busy to write much
about what they've done.  I need exactly the kind of help mentioned
in this message and I bet I'm not alone. If we get some good docs we
should post it everywhere, including on opensourceschools.org

David
Quoting Chris Calise <chris@oip.net>:

> Hello Paul ,
> we are working on setting up a LTSP at a local middle school. Tim
Rogers
> trogers@head-start.lane.or.us from Head Start asked our local
Linux folks for
> some help, but  I don't think anyone has volunteered yet. I
thought you might
> be able to give him some guidance. I wish I could help but I am
more the
> activist side of our efforts here in Lane County. We are deploying
soon,
> perfect or not. We are trying to form a cohesive group here to
offer training
> and mentoring. We also need to work on hardware. But I do believe,
like you,
> that having this as user friendly as possible is the only way to
assure
> acceptance by schools.
>

> Here is Tim's post:
>
> > Actually, what I would like is some help in setting up - and
documenting
> > - a limited, user-proof configuration of LTSP. It really is more
of a
> > security and Window Manager (XFce is what I am leaning toward)
issue
> > than a LTSP issue.
> >
> > I have a working LTSP network - using two Ethernet cards and a
private
> > subnet like L12LTSP does - working. What I need is for someone
with some
> > time to give to tweak the setup, optimize the XFree86-4
configuration

--
http://www.iteachnet.org
http://members.iteachnet.org/~home About Membership