Re: [seul-edu] ISO criterion: i18n, another approach

On Sunday 12 May 2002 00:49, Douglas Loss wrote:
> Rather
> than use ease of translation as a criterion for inclusion on the ISO,
> I'd like to use only a program's utility and usability in the schools
> to determine if it should be included or not.  For characteristics
> like how easily is it adaptable to different languages and educational
> systems (or other similar criteria) I'd like to rate each program on a
> scale of one to whatever (5, 10, whatever seems useful).  That way we
> can include numerous programs that may not satisfy every criterion
> perfectly, but that may be generally useful to a reasonable subset of
> users.

Another angle: include the GNU internationalisation (i18n) tools on the source
CD (and IMHO, *every* CD should be a source CD, even if the source takes up
space that could be used for more apps: better two CDs, each with source,
than one app CD and one source CD, because guess which one will often fail to
get copied otherwise?).

That way, your end users are *immediately* able to join the Open Source
community on the input side. So an app has no Lapp text in it? Lapplanders
will have the tools in their hands to fix that at the same instant that they
have the app in their hands.

Cheers; Leon