Re: [seul-edu] Another threat

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 08:38, Tom Hoffman wrote:

> > "Kevin Stiles" <kstiles@pasco.wednet.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > With this in place it will be extremely difficult for any
> > > alternative software to get into our schools.
>
> We probably shouldn't get caught up with trying to replace the
> Windows/Office monoculture with a Linux/OpenOffice monoculture.
> Give
> people the most appropriate tools for their job.

First of all, "appropriate" depends on a lot of factors and "most
appropriate" might be very difficult to pin down. If one allows that
many tools might be equally appropriate within an acceptable margin of
error, then there is no need to split hairs over which is "most
appropriate".

Secondly, a Linux/OpenOffice monoculture is so far off as to be a
negligible consideration. An alarmist and overstated reaction such as
yours merely serves to prolong the existence of the Windows/Office
monoculture. Let's worry about Linux/OpenOffice monoculture when we are
closer to 50% of the edu market.

Thirdly, even in the unlikely (but welcome) event that Free Software
were to gain 80% market share in classroom computers, such as Microsoft
enjoys, the lock-in factor will be much easier to overcome. File formats
will be open, vendors will not have leverage that would allow them to
use threats as a loyalty program, and there will be many more vendors
from which to choose.

Or maybe you were just joking.

Regards,
Syd.