Re: [seul-edu] Another threat

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 13:12, Sydney Weidman wrote:

> > We probably shouldn't get caught up with trying to replace the
> > Windows/Office monoculture with a Linux/OpenOffice monoculture.
> > Give people the most appropriate tools for their job.
> >

> Secondly, a Linux/OpenOffice monoculture is so far off as to be a
> negligible consideration. An alarmist and overstated reaction such
as
> yours merely serves to prolong the existence of the Windows/Office

> monoculture. Let's worry about Linux/OpenOffice monoculture when
we are
> closer to 50% of the edu market.

> Or maybe you were just joking.

The original post implies that if there is any part of the school
which insists on using Windows, we have a major problem.  There will
be these pockets, and the art and music departments will want to use
Macs if they can.  We don't need to tear our hair out over this.
Just focus on our strengths and opportunities.

--Tom