Re: [seul-edu] Mail list versus UUNET newgroup

Stephen C. Daukas wrote:

> I wasn't thinking "web" - I was thinking good old nntp, which can be
> set-up to allow postings by a select group, but can be read by anyone
> who wants to subscribe...  (One can even use sendmail settings to
> limited access on some nntp servers and this could also be setup to do
> both nntp and smtp at the same time.)

I used to be a dedicated USEnaut, but if I look at a newsgroup once
every few months these days I'd be surprised.  I think that's the case
with a lot of folks since newsgroups have become so spam-filled and
since the "endless September" effect took hold years ago.

> Taking this approach would actually save bandwidth for those who pay a
> high-cost connection fee:  just subscribe to what you are interested in
> and avoid downloading the rest.  We did at a former employer of mine
> years ago...  Not sure how they do it now, but we had thousands of
> subscribers (members) and used email with archive, as well as web, as
> well as nntp.

The problem would be that a web forum would just be an extra script
running on our existing web server, while NNTP newsgroups would
require an entire new app to run.  I haven't run INN for years, but as
I recall it was fairly resource-intensive.  I'd have to see how many
of our users would prefer it to either email or web before I could
make a case for it.

--
Doug Loss          As long as I have you there is just
drloss@suscom.net  one other thing I'll always need--